[Solved] Move down in a table with Tab key

Discuss the word processor
Mhilinski1

[Solved] Move down in a table with Tab key

Post by Mhilinski1 »

I have a document open and i am working in a table when i hit the tab key on the keyboard it doesn't go over to the table that i want it goes to another table how do i fix this?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Openoffice 4.1.1.4 on windows 10
FJCC

Re: Table in document

Post by FJCC »

The only behavior of the tab key that I have seen is that it moves the cursor to the next cell to the right unless the cursor is at the end of the row, in which case it moves the cursor to the leftmost cell of the next row. A new row will be inserted if necessary. (I have not experimented with merged cells.) If you are seeing something else, please post a document that shows the behavior and explain exactly what behavior you see.
To post a document, click Post Reply and look for the Attachments tab just below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Mhilinski1

Post by Mhilinski1 »

I have attached the file below toshow you what the document is and what itdoes when i hit the tab key again it does the same thing as before this is fustrating to me beacuse i can't figureout what i am doing wrong?
Attachments
Monthly Prescription Drug Summary for September,2023.doc
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Do you mean instead of going along the row you want the tab key to move down the column?

If not, where in the table is the tab key, where does it go when you press it, and where do you want it to go?
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Mhilinski1

Post by Mhilinski1 »

yes i want the tab key to move down the colmn/
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Mhilinski1 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:53 pm yes i want the tab key to move down the colmn/
That's not standard behavior for the Tab key. Pressing the Tab key moves to the next tab stop in a line or the next cell in a table row. Use the arrow keys to move up or down.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Re: Move down in a table with Tab key

Post by Hagar Delest »

Or keep pressing the Tab key until you reach the next line.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Move down in a table with Tab key

Post by JeJe »

If you want to go to the next column down when the cursor is not at the end of a cell then press

the 'End' key with the 'Ctrl' key held down
This takes the cursor to the end of the cell.

Then the down arrow key will go to the next cell

If you record those key presses with the macro recorder you can create a simple macro and can assign a shortcut key to it to do both steps at once, if desired.

Code: Select all

Sub GoDownColumn
dim document,dispatcher
document   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")
dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:GoToEndOfDoc", "", 0, Array()) 'end of cell if in a cell
dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:GoDown", "", 0, array())
End Sub

Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)