Copy documents to new computer

Talk about anything at all....
dickb

Copy documents to new computer

Post by dickb »

I have been using open office on Win XP for years, now I'm updating to Win10.
On my XP laptop I have several different users each with a list of recent documents. These documents are in multiple directories.
Heres my question is there a way to copy all the recent documents to the new computer ( ideally using a thumb drive ) while not destroying the original documents, or the recent documents list on the XP computer.
My original thought was to open each of the documents on XP laptop and then do a "save as" to the thumb drive. My biggest problem is that this will destroy and makes useless the "recent document" list on the XP laptop.
open office 4.15 install on Win XP SP3
RusselB

Re: copy documents to new computer

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
You can use Windows Explorer (note this is different from Internet Explorer) to find you files and copy them to a thumbdrive. This will not affect the Windows XP recent documents as the documents themselves will still be in the last location registered for that list.
If you are wanting to maintain the directory (folder) structure for the files, then I recommend that you use a zip facility to create a compressed file that contains the directory/ies (aka folder(s)) and the files contained there in.
You can make the zip file directly onto a thumbdrive or you can make it on your computer then copy/move it to the thumbdrive.
While zip is the general term used for this, the exact name/extension and capabilities of each vary. Personally I prefer WinRar.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

All documents are on the old computer are "original" documents. There are not separate "recent" documents to copy. Copying the original documents to a thumb drive does not alter or destroy the original documents. Just make sure that you "copy" and not "cut" or "delete" the original documents. After the documents have been copied to the new computer, just open each document on the new computer to add them to the recent documents list(s) on the new computer.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If you copy the entire user profile from the old pc to the new pc all your settings and the Recently used list will also be copied. Of course you will need to place the files in the identical locations.

I don't know where it is on XP but on Windows 10 it is C:\Users\xxxxxxn\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\ and its contents.

Much simpler is

1. Take a photo of the Recently used list on the old PC
2. Open each file in the list from where it is on the new PC, make a trivial change (add and delete a space) and save it. It now appears in the list - I'm pretty sure documents only get listed when they are saved.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
lucky798999

Re: Copy documents to new computer

Post by lucky798999 »

On the off chance that you are needing to keep up the registry (envelope) structure for the documents, at that point I prescribe that you utilize a compress office to make a compacted record that contains the catalog/ies (otherwise known as folder(s)) and the documents contained there in.

You can make the compress document straightforwardly onto a thumbdrive or you can make it on your PC at that point duplicate/move it to the thumbdrive.

While zip is the general term utilized for this, the specific name/expansion and capacities of each fluctuate. By and by I lean toward WinRar.
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4