Downloading OpenOffice.org with dial-up

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Semanon

Downloading OpenOffice.org with dial-up

Post by Semanon »

I can't seem to download OpenOffice without my connection cutting out after 98% complete. I am using dial-up connection. I get a dialogue saying 'retry'. I hit retry and it keeps popping up with 'retry'. I then hit cancel, and another dialogue comes up with Go to Control Panel to configure installation and downloads. I go to Control Panel but I don't see anything about configuring installation and downloads.

I am using Windows XP.

Can anyone help me? Is there a CD-ROM for Open Office?
MacBook Pro
RoryOF

Re: Downloading Open Office with dial-up

Post by RoryOF »

You could try a P2P connection.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JohnV
Volunteer

Post by JohnV »

Surely you can get a friend or colleague to download for you and put it on a CD.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes a hangup at 98% suggests one has not Write rights in the destination directory. Why not select some directory to which you have undoubted rights, such as your Desktop, and try again? Also, clear your browser cache beforehand.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Re: Downloading OpenOffice.org with dial-up

Post by keme »

It is possible to restrict rights to modify the desktop by policy settings, so if you're on a centrally managed computer (set up by a network admin), you'd better check the write rights anyway. The "My documents" area should be OK.

However, most downloads will start by writing a dummy file to the target directory, then downloading to a temporary file. After download is complete, the temporary data is moved or renamed to fill the slot of the previous dummy. This means that you get a write rights check initially (at 0%), but often there's no check for available storage space until the final copy step (approaching 100%).

Bottom line: Check whether your target drive has sufficient storage space available. Try a different browser if possible. Consider downloading the package where jre is not included.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10