[Solved] Program wide styles

Discuss the word processor
Windwood

[Solved] Program wide styles

Post by Windwood »

Is it possible to add/create a style that will appear in all new documents or are new styles proprietary to a specific document. I made a Frame style for a book, but when I try to use it for another chapter (separate file) it does not exist in the "Styles and Formatting" list. OR is there a way to copy a style from one document onto another?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri May 10, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
FJCC

Re: Program wide styles.

Post by FJCC »

You can make a style "universal" by storing it in a template. Any document based on that template will have access to the style. You can also copy styles from one document to another. If you are writing chapters of a book, you should base those chapters on a template so the formatting is consistent.

To make a template, open a new document and define all the styles you want. Select the menu File -> Templates -> Save. Give the template a name and save it in My Templates. When you want to open a document based on the template, choose the menu File -> New -> Templates and Documents. Make sure Templates is selected from the icons on the left and then choose the desired template from the displayed list.

You can apply a new template to an existing document with the Template Changer Extension
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Program wide styles.

Post by JeJe »

Another way is to use Autotext.

Apply the frame style to a frame which is anchored "as character".
Select it and go to Edit Menu/Autotext and make the selection an Autotext.

You can then insert the Autotext entry containing the frame with that style in any document. No need for a special template.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)