Corrupted file (General input/output error) when saving

Discuss the word processor
younaziba

Corrupted file (General input/output error) when saving

Post by younaziba »

Hello,
I am experimenting issues with open office since a few days. Quite often, when I want to save a file, it tells me "Erreur générale E/S à l'enregistrement".
When I wait a bit or do some copy, usually the problem disappear. But what worries me is that since it happened, it seems one of my file has been corrupted. Bad luck is that this is the most important file I have on my computer. I desperately need to fix that issue and open it again.

What makes me think it has been corrupted is that I cannot open it anymore. When I click on it, it crashes the whole open office and close the other opened files. Also, even the logo of the file looks different than the others, while the others are depicted as a white sheet with text, my corrupted files shows some kind of open office logo (as per the picture attached). Last info is that it now tells me the size file is 1MO (while it's supposed to be much more as it is a 600 pages file).

I am very worried and don't understand how this could happen. I would really appreciate your help, but please bear in mind that I am a noob and would need some clear explanations on how to proceed.

I hope someone will see that message and be ready to help me !
Capture d’écran 2024-04-30 à 11.22.15.png
Capture d’écran 2024-04-30 à 11.22.15.png (73.59 KiB) Viewed 276 times

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Apache Open Office 4.1.1 on MacOS 11.2.3
Hagar Delest

Re: Corrupted file + erreur générale E/S when trying to save a doc. In desperate need for help !

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, AOO has always had issues with the saving process. You should try LibreOffice, it's safer: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.
The interface is the same, you won't be lost.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10