[Solved] XY Graphs not updating when data changes

Discuss the spreadsheet application
pecohen

[Solved] XY Graphs not updating when data changes

Post by pecohen »

I find that the operation of x-y graphs has deteriorated significantly. I maintain a spreadsheet of data that I usually update at least daily and on a separate tab I graph the data. In the past, this has worked well. Occasionally when I added a column (represented by a separate curve on the graph) I had to edit the chart's data-range specification. There was a learning curve initially, but after a brief learning time it worked well.

Yesterday, when I clicked on the tab to view the graph it had disappeared, so I created a new one - it took me perhaps a half-hour to get it looking right. But now, I find that when I update the data in the spreadsheet, the data on the graph is not updated - I suppose if I want it updated I have to delete it and build it again from scratch. Moreover, the data-range specification is no longer available for editing. In its place there are data tables that are pretty unwieldly compared to the old data-range specification.

Is there somewhere I can download the old version; it worked fine.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (robleyd, Moderator).
Last edited by pecohen on Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.10 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: xy braphs

Post by FJCC »

The problem is that your graph has lost its connection to the original data set. That is why you see the data table instead of a data range. I believe this can happen when you copy a graph. Did you build the graph on one sheet and then copy it to another sheet?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
pecohen

Re: xy Graphs not updating when data changes

Post by pecohen »

No. As I said before, the original graph had disappeared. I had to construct it from scratch.
FJCC

Re: xy Graphs not updating when data changes

Post by FJCC »

I don't know of any way to break the connection between the chart and its data other than copying it, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Before you rebuild the chart, I suggest you make a simple x-y plot with just one series. Save and close the file, reopen it and see if the data range is still associated with the chart. If it isn't, you'll know that there is something wrong with your software.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
pecohen

Re: XY Graphs not updating when data changes

Post by pecohen »

I deleted the entire sheet where the graph was and re-built it; it seems to be working properly now.

Thinking back, when I reconstructed it before, on the same sheet, it was hard to find, being located way below where my cursor had been. In moving it to the upper left corner of the sheet it is possible that I copied it and pasted it where I wanted it to be, so possibly that is why everything else went awry. It seems that something may have gotten corrupted on that particular sheet as well. I tried many times to re-build the graph on that sheet before I deleted the sheet and worked instead from a fresh one.