[Solved] Read-error. Format error discovered...

Discuss the word processor
Pesticle

[Solved] Read-error. Format error discovered...

Post by Pesticle »

Read-error. Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2.5920(row,col).
I’ve just encountered the above message when trying to re-open a .odt file - after working on it for much of today.
I see there are several entries in the forum on this topic. I’m old, slow and not very good at doing this stuff - it honestly looks to be beyond my ability to deal with it myself. Please could I get some help to resolve this problem.
I have already spent days going through numerous corrections/adjustments - and had almost finished the work today!
Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged Solved.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
RoryOF

Re: Read-error. Format error discovered . . .

Post by RoryOF »

Please upload your damaged file either to the Forum or to a file sharing site (please post the URL), so that it can be examined and hopefully repaired.

Note: such error usually occurs when a Writer file has been edited also in MS Word and a comment extended over a text range deleted.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Pesticle

Re: Read-error. Format error discovered...

Post by Pesticle »

Thanks RoryOF - now we're getting down to the basics in my struggle! Can you please tell me how to upload the file into the forum? I can't see an obvious link - but it may be an inate denseness 🙂
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On the "Full Editor" screen (button at bottom of Quick Reply screen) or the "Post Reply" screen, below the Submit button, you will see a tab "Attachments". Click on that and you will be able to upload your damaged file.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

How to upload a file - with pictures to assist.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Pesticle

Post by Pesticle »

Sorry for the faffing - one thing: my file is 178kb so too large to upload to forum - suggested alternative is Mediafire (which I've just uploaded to) and then I post the link on the forum. I feel a bit vulnerable posting the link for all to see - am I being paranoid? Am I able to send the link "privately" - i.e. without the entire world having access. As I said, I'm old!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can send the link by PM to RoryOF and robleyd.

Note that there is also a tutorial to do it yourself: [Tutorial] Format error discovered in sub-document.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I've sent you a PM* with contact details. The link of course only allows one to download a file that can't be opened without some degree of expertise; make of that what you will. And remember - you aren't paranoid if they are really out to get you :shock:

* PM -> Private Message
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

A (hopefully) repaired document has been sent to OP; the problem was the annotations bug with MS Office documents.
 Edit: You might want to look at Using Styles and Templates [PDF] to make production of your document easier. 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
Pesticle

Post by Pesticle »

robleyd wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:20 pm A (hopefully) repaired document has been sent to OP; the problem was the annotations bug with MS Office documents.
 Edit: You might want to look at Using Styles and Templates [PDF] to make production of your document easier. 
Thank you so much for the prompt help, David. My sincere apologies for the delayed reply - it was not meant to disregard your support. While I have a good, but very basic knowledge of Writer, some of the formatting leaves me quite confused. Creating consistent headings in a large document is a good example - it just defeats me (definitely an age issue!). My personal learning tends to work best visually (i.e. I often struggle more with written guidance). However, it can be tough to trawl the internet and find a video tutorial that is clear, to the point and focussed. I get frustrated with the tutes that are more about the presenter's image than the actual details. I will look up the link you've provided.
PS I note this post has been marked as solved - also thanks.
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Read-error. Format error discovered...

Post by RoryOF »

A good starting point for learning how to format in OpenOffice is
Writer for students (several languages)

Much better than most video tutorials.