[Solved] Change database field in label

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Thedood

[Solved] Change database field in label

Post by Thedood »

Hello,

I am needing some help and didn't see anything posted on the forum directly solving my issues. Hopefully there is an easy fix that I'm just missing so far.

I make a few thousand sticker labels a year. Currently using the Avery 5160 Sticker base. I create a "Database" for each of our jobs. Every job we do has the same 4 "Database Field" sections that we print on the Avery 5160.

I am curious if there is a way to create a template with my Font/placements/text size etc for my Print sheet using my "Database Fields" info?

Ex. I have a layout that I build for every job with one of the "Database fields" that gets underlined and moved to a larger text size. The others go underneath and get a smaller font size etc.. I dont want to have to rebuild this every job if possible. I just want to load the new "Database Field" data and have this format be kept. Is this possible?

The workflow of File>New>Labels>NewDocument wipes out all my formatting and loads my "database fields" into the cells how I populate them in the Label config area.

Appreciate any help. Thank you

Edit: Changed subject, was Need help w/ Labels/Templates 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Windows 10 open office 2.4
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: Need help w/ Labels/Templates

Post by erbsenzahl »

Thedood wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:06 pm Windows 10 open office 2.4
If you still work on version 2.4 (published around 2007/2008) there rarely will be other users using this version. (Nevertheless this old version seems to be similar to the latest versions when generating labels...) For that reason I recommend updating to Apache OpenOffice 4.1.x and additionally sharing a sample file. - Cheers

EDIT
Thedood wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:06 pm I am curious if there is a way to create a template with my Font/placements/text size etc for my Print sheet using my "Database Fields" info?
Why not change the data base?
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
MrProgrammer

Re: Need help w/ Labels/Templates

Post by MrProgrammer »

Thedood wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:06 pm I am curious if there is a way to create a template with my Font/placements/text size etc for my Print sheet using my "Database Fields" info?
The File → New → Labels wizard creates a Writer document. After formatting it the way you want just use File → Save As → File type → ODF Text Document Template. When you later open the template that you created, OpenOffice will create a new Untitled document. Any changes you make to it affect only the new document. The template remains unchanged.

Thedood wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:06 pm I just want to load the new "Database Field" data and have this format be kept.
The File → New → Labels wizard creates database fields in the document that are linked to columns from your data source. If you want to use a different data source for the all of fields in the new document which is created from the template use Edit → Exchange Database. If you want to use a different data source column for an individual database field, select it and use Edit → Fields. Neither changing the data source nor changing the data source column affects the formatting of the Writer document.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).