Can't save: File not found

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
batsintheattic

Can't save: File not found

Post by batsintheattic »

New file. I poke save, and error comes up. See attached Pic.
Don't matter if I use default file name, or type in my own.
.. I think this is the first time I have used this app, since I installed it, long time ago. See 2nd Pic for app version. If you can read it.
.. If I was to update the app, will I loose the doc I have typed in at this time.? Since I can't save. I would loose 2 hours roughly of typing.
Attachments
File version
File version
IMG_20240215_152058.jpg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Error when I poke save/save as
Error when I poke save/save as
IMG_20240215_152033.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Openoffice 3.2.1 build 9502 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Can't save..

Post by robleyd »

Try saving the document to your desktop folder; if this works it is likely that Windows Defender - or some third party anti-virus software - is blocking you from saving. See [Tutorial] Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10.

Alternatively you may have to tell your third party anti-virus to white list C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.bin

If all else fails, copy the text you have created in OpenOffice to another program such as Notepad or Wordpad (if that still exists on Windows) which will allow you to save at least the text, if not the formatting, of your document
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
batsintheattic

Re: Can't save: File not found

Post by batsintheattic »

Well.. That was interesting.. I moved the save location to the desktop, and it worked.. 🤷🏻.. So, wonder why it wouldn't save to a directory..?
.. Am installing latest version now. So will see what that does..
... Thanks..
Openoffice 3.2.1 build 9502 on Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Did you read the link about Defender? It's either Defender or your AV and you'll likely have the same issue with a newer version of AOO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

While you are thinking to update your OpenOffice you might want to consider make a switch to LibreOffice. There are several good reasons to make the switch, some of which are stated in this thread: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

Even if you switch to LibreOffice you would still need to follow advice already given and see if your anti-virus (AV) application is causing issues with not being able to save (or open) files. In general, given the many problems of this type posted on in this forum, it seems that LibreOffice is treated more kindly by Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems than OpenOffice is treated.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]