[Solved] Remove bogus index entries

Discuss the word processor
jejaffe

[Solved] Remove bogus index entries

Post by jejaffe »

Been using OpenOffice since v3 or so. 4.17 has been operating without error for a long time. I've got a 300+ page document and created an alphabetical index. For several weeks it took a few seconds to update. Now it takes minutes and a coin toss if it crashes.
AlphaIndex-Bogus_entries.png
AlphaIndex-Bogus_entries.png (20.54 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
I renamed the document from .ODT to .ZIP, extracted content.xml and renamed to content.html and loaded to OO. Did a search and replace to improve readability and captured a part of the screen. The "E." shown is my middle initial. All the other alphabetical-index-marks appear to be
<null>
I didn't mark the "E." either.

All pages are full of entries I did not mark including every [space]. I deleted the index but the marks remain. I can manually delete the index fields but at hundreds of pages and every space an index mark I'll probably be dead before I finish.

Deleting EVERY index field is fine, but editing the content.html file is painfully slow.

I have read that a corrupt indexing can cause this. After four days of part time error I have finally identified the problem but have no idea what do to.

tia

Jonathan
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.17 on Windows 7 Professional
FJCC

Re: Thousands of Bogus Index Entrie

Post by FJCC »

You could do a regular expression search for

Code: Select all

<text:alphabetical-index-mark[^>]+>
and delete everything that is found. Use Find & Replace, search for the string above and, under More Options, select Regular Expressions. Make a back up copy of the file before you try this! It might take a while for the search to work because it will find so many matches
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Thousands of Bogus Index Entrie

Post by Zizi64 »

Been using OpenOffice since v3 or so. 4.17 has been operating without error for a long time.
There is not AOO4.17 today, nor 4.1.17. Do you mean 4.1.7 version?
https://www.openoffice.org/download/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.