[Solved] OpenOffice as MS Office

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
cleberf

[Solved] OpenOffice as MS Office

Post by cleberf »

Hi.

I'm a Microsoft Office 2007 user and I'm trying to get used to OpenOffice. I downloaded version 4.1.13 of AOO and would like to leave it with the Word design, particularly the menu bar.

I would also like to adopt the .docx format as the default for saving files.

I searched this forum but didn't find anything related to these changes for this version of AOO (4.1.13).

I appreciate any help
Last edited by cleberf on Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Openoffice 4.1.13 on Windows 8.1
LastUnicorn

Re: OpenOffice as MS Office

Post by LastUnicorn »

If you are saying you favour the Microsoft 'Ribbon interface' for Microsoft Word then OpenOffice doesn't supply that option. However, LibreOffice does, so you might want to look into LibreOffice. In LibreOffice Writer go (menu) View → User Interface... and take I from there. There are several good reasons why you should be favouring LibreOffice over OpenOffice anyway. Some of the reasons are given in this thread: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

If you want to use .docx for saving files all the time you would be better of sticking with Microsoft Office. Doing that in LibreOffice or OpenOffice will just lead to problems in the long run. Always better to save in ODF formats and only save a .docx copy if you really must at the end of whatever you are doing.
 Edit: My mistake OpenOffice can't save in .docx, LibreOffice can. 
Last edited by LastUnicorn on Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

OpenOffice does not save in the docx format. If you need that, you can try LibreOffice. Saving in a non-native format always carries the risk of losing formatting. Much of the point of OpenOffice and LibreOffice is to use the Open Document formats so that you are not bound to Microsoft.
You cannot change the interface of OpenOffice, or LibreOffice as far as I know, to match the interface of MS Office.
Changing software always requires some adaptation to new interfaces, conventions and capabilities. If you want to step away from Microsoft, you will have to work through that. On those rare occasions when I have to use MS Office, I get frustrated with the unfamiliar layout and other differences from the familiar OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

To set the default format for save: Tools / Options / Open Office / Load-Save / General -> Always save as.

But at your own risks. Couldn't agree more with previous comments.
Please remember that .docx format was not designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office (vendor lock-in policy).

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See the Writer tutorial on the differences between AOO/LO and Microsoft files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
cleberf

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice as MS Office

Post by cleberf »

Thanks, guys!! I'll try to adapt to AOO or LO
Openoffice 4.1.13 on Windows 8.1