[Solved] Install OpenOffice on iPad Pro? «Q30»

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
stewlyons

[Solved] Install OpenOffice on iPad Pro? «Q30»

Post by stewlyons »

I have open office on my iMac. I want to use some of my open office text documents on my iPad but I can’t seem to open these documents on my iPad Pro so I’ve assumed I just need to download and install open office on my iPad Pro. So I download it on my iPad and get the dmg but I can’t do anything with the dmg. Won’t open. It’s just there in my downloads folder. Is the problem that open office won’t work on an iPad? Have I been wasting my time? If open office is not capable of running on an iPad, then how do I open one my iPad open office documents that I’ve saved on my iPad? Thank you for any help you can give me. I will attach screen shots. Well, sorry, evidently this forum won’t let me attach the screen shots, I get the message the file is too big. I don’t know how to change the size. If you need to see the screen shots , let me know and I’ll try to figure it out. Thanks you.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
mac OS X el capitan 10.11.4
apache open office 4.1.2 (as of 5/22/16)
MrProgrammer

Re: Why can’t I install open office on iPad Pro?

Post by MrProgrammer »

stewlyons wrote:Is the problem that open office won’t work on an iPad?
Q30: Can I run OpenOffice on an iPad or an iPhone?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
stewlyons

Re: Why can’t I install open office on iPad Pro?

Post by stewlyons »

Thank you so much. I quess I should have seen that, I did look through the questions. But that answer still confuses me slightly as it says I need iOS to run on iPad but then it says there is no version that runs on iPad not (to sum up my understanding, in beginner’s terms). So slightly confused still but I guess I have to assume I cant use open office (text, in particular) on my iPad. But then my question becomes, how do I use the open office documents i created on my iMac, on my iPad? The open office documents I’ve transferred (shared, sent by email, whatever), don’t open on my iPad. Maybe i need to specifically learn how to open them using pages? Don’t know exactly how i would do that but i would foolaround with it try to figure that out. If you wouldn’t mind confirming my understanding and adding anything else i would really appreciate it. Again, thank you!
robleyd

Re: Why can’t I install OpenOffice on iPad Pro?

Post by robleyd »

You could try Collabora Office, a text editor, spreadsheet and presentation program based on LibreOffice. It uses the same Open Document Format for files as Apache OpenOffice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.3.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.3 by Eric Hameleers
stewlyons

Re: Why can’t I install OpenOffice on iPad Pro?

Post by stewlyons »

hmmm...i might have to give it a try. i guess i got my answer that...open office won't work on iPad. i've got to evaluate the options, my needs, procedures. thanks so much