[Solved] Monthly calendar in LibreOffice

Using them, Making them, Finding them
johnyreb

[Solved] Monthly calendar in LibreOffice

Post by johnyreb »

I have recently installed Libre Office on my Windows PC to use the Draw program and find it is very good and quite easy to use. I do intend to switch to the writing and spreadsheet programs later and move from my existing ones. However I would like to create a monthly calendar at this moment and believe the spreadsheet route would be best for that purpose. The format would be A4 horizontal printed out with a clear box for each day of the month in columns and rows. I would like it to automatically print family birthdays and anniversaries etc in condensed print at the bottom of each box on the correct days.
I have seen references about existing templates for such purposes and would ask if anyone could suggest one for a beginner to use and how to go about getting it.
Last edited by johnyreb on Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 24.8.03 on Windows 7 Pro.
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Monthly Calendar in Libre Office

Post by floris v »

Welcome to the forum. There are templates available for doing just that, and a tutorial at https://calendartricks.com/how-to-make- ... breoffice/ that also lists some templates. For more templates, see https://extensions.libreoffice.org/?q=c ... rch=Search.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
johnyreb

Re: Monthly calendar in LibreOffice

Post by johnyreb »

Thank you for your help floris.
I have downloaded the tutorial and A4 template from your first link. Although it does not appear to allow the creation of personalised birthday and anniversaries, it does produce the layout that I am looking for. I have started altering bits of it to reduce the wide margins etc and increase the size of the usable area. That will allow me to get practice using Calc and once more familiar with it will look to add the function of personal data.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

johnyreb wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:40 pm I have recently installed Libre Office on my Windows PC to use the Draw program and find it is very good and quite easy to use. I do intend to switch to the writing and spreadsheet programs later and move from my existing ones.
It might be of interest to you for the future that from LibreOffice version 25.2 (i.e. February 2025) LibreOffice will no longer guarantee that LibreOffice will work for people using Windows 7 and/or Windows 8/8.1. See the Release Notes for LibreOffice 24.8 under the Platform Compatibility heading.

Just some information to keep under your hat in case using LibreOffice with Windows 7 ever becomes an issue for you.
LibreOffice (Still) 24.2.5.2 (x64) installed to Windows 10 Pro x64 and Windows 11 Pro x64
Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.15 [Portable Apps]
For Java I use Adoptium Temurin JRE LTS Releases.
johnyreb

Post by johnyreb »

Thank you for the information LastUnicorn. I had no idea that was going to happen.
If it is only going to affect people using version 25.2 onwards then I would not be concerned but if, as you suggest, LibreOffice might not work properly on W7 then it will be the end of the road for me using LO. That will be very disappointing having just purchased the printed versions of Writer Guide, Draw Guide and Calc Guide. I will not be using W10/11.

My main desktop was originally W7 but later updated to W10 and I used it for 9 months. I was sickened by all the forced unwanted MS updates and the telemetry built into W10. I was well passed the time to revert back to W7 but managed to do so with a factory re-set. MS started including telemetry in W7 updates hidden in security updates. I stopped all MS updates from that time. Now when any of my programs require a specific KB update I install it manually.

My latest laptop was W10 but I had it removed and W7Pro installed at the time of purchase. The same will apply when I have to replace my main desktop.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You might consider Linux as an alternative operating system.
Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.5.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.5 by Eric Hameleers
---------------------
Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
Unexpected '{' on line 32
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

I am now on Win10 on my Desktop and Win 11 on a laptop.

I find using Open-Shell, O&O Shutup and Winaero Tweaker help to make the systems tolerable, along with quite a bit of manual tweaking of my own. But certainly if it wasn't for Open-Shell I would have transferred to Linux when I decided it was time to abandon Win7.

I used Linux Mint for about a year during 2016 but gave up on it because it just doesn't have the range of software that is available for Windows. If I had to transfer to Linux now I would find it easier as I my computing needs now are much simpler than they were back when I tried Linux before. In any case once Win10 is tweaked a bit I find it very useable (to my surprise) and am quite adjusted to it now.

I would suppose that if you want to stick with Win7 you could always just use the last version of LibreOffice that runs fine on it. I think that is what I would do if I was sticking with Win7.
LibreOffice (Still) 24.2.5.2 (x64) installed to Windows 10 Pro x64 and Windows 11 Pro x64
Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.15 [Portable Apps]
For Java I use Adoptium Temurin JRE LTS Releases.
johnyreb

Post by johnyreb »

Thanks for the suggestion about Linux robleyyd. Linux seems to be becoming more popular with many people but I do not feel the need for that as long as I am using Win 7 in the way I have mentioned. So far there is nothing in all the computing applications that I use that does not work well with Win 7.
johnyreb

Post by johnyreb »

Thanks for the further reply LastUnicorn. During the period I was using Win 10 I did use Classic-Shell. I am going to remain with Win7 and hope that my version of LibreOffice will run fine on it.