Error 1327. Invalid Drive: D:\ when trying to install on C Drive

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
JimDirt

Error 1327. Invalid Drive: D:\ when trying to install on C Drive

Post by JimDirt »

I had a 2tb SATA drive that failed along with all but 1 of my 6 SATA ports , I have Windows 10 on a SSD on my motherboard , and I had a 2tb Internal HD for Programs , and 1 for Documents , the Documents one still works , but if I plug it into any SATA port besides the one its currently in , it isn't recognized (the is the 4th Motherboard from ASUS that has lost all the SATA ports within a year , but Tech Support is sending me a document to fill out , a .docx , and since I can't access my D drive , where I have Open Office installed I am trying to install it to my C/Windows drive) , this is where the issue is , when I try to choose the location (a folder I made on my Desktop , as I already tried to install it in C/Program Files X86 to a Open Office folder I made there as well) , it gives this error ........ 1327.Invalid Drive: D:\ , well I'm not trying to install it in D which no longer exists , I am trying to install it on my C/main Windows SSD and it keeps giving the exact same error every time and won't let me complete the installation , there are items in the folder I made along with a Setup.exe , but when I click on that it gives the error , and I need open office so I can see and fill out the docx ASUS sent me in my email so they can try to help me with my motherboard that needs replaced

Basically no matter what I try (I looked in Windows , System , Storage and they are all showing C drive as the default for installing , etc.) , it "should install , but its trying to install to the D drive and won't continue with the installation , or at least giving that error that has to do with a D drive that does not exist , it did this with my older versions of Open Office that I have in My Documents drive that still functions fine (for now) , so after I tried several times , then I downloaded the latest version directly from Apache site and still get the same error....... Any Idea's ????
Windows 10 Open Office 4.1. 15
FJCC

Re: Get 1327.Invalid Drive:D:\ Error , but trying to install on C Drive

Post by FJCC »

What happens if you run the installer from the Downloads folder of your C: drive and accept the default settings? That should install in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
JimDirt

Post by JimDirt »

Hi , Thanks for the reply

Here is where it wants to "default" unpack to

C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\OpenOffice 4.1.15 (en-US) Installation Files
JimDirt

Post by JimDirt »

When I tried going to Program Files X86 , it gives the same error , basically , no mater where I try to put it , it gives the error , It does however put files in the folder , including a Setup.exe , , but when I click on the .exe , it gives the same error

I can't get the actual screenshot to post here , so here is the link to the screenshot I took that shows the files in the folder

https://imgur.com/lgmWJhh
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Any Idea's ????
Try to install the LibreOffice.
or
Try to use a portable version of AOO/LO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Mountaineer

Re: Error 1327. Invalid Drive: D:\ when trying to install on C Drive

Post by Mountaineer »

You wish to install something, wich is installed by the notes Windows takes, so it will try to call the uninstaller first, wich is not possible here.

The quickest way around this is to use a portable Version.
Another way would be to put your sata-device in an external usb-housing and connect it. It should connect as "next free letter" so D is the logical selection. It may be slow, but should work.

The third way would be to use some external uninstaller (revo is mentioned from time to time), wich tries to purge traces of former installations from windows. If succesful you may install to C: afterwards. (I strongly recommend backups before.)

Depending on your setup you can also consider a complete re-install of windows, without software from the old version.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

As Zizi64 says try to install LibreOffice. There are good reasons to prefer LibreOffice over OpenOffice some of which are mentioned here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information. You should note that LibreOffice has better support for opening Microsoft Office documents (.docx, etc.) than OpenOffice does anyway.

Again, as mentioned by Zizi64, you can get a portable version of LibreOffice here: LibreOffice Portable Still

Or if you are really sold on OpenOffice you can get a portable version here: Apache OpenOffice Portable

Either of them would tide you over until you get a fix for installing to your C:\ partition.

It is also the case that the portable versions of OpenOffice/LibreOffice are not altered in an way other than to just make them portable. You get the same application as you would from versions that you fully install to your system.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
JimDirt

Post by JimDirt »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:41 am You wish to install something, wich is installed by the notes Windows takes, so it will try to call the uninstaller first, wich is not possible here.

The quickest way around this is to use a portable Version.
Another way would be to put your sata-device in an external usb-housing and connect it. It should connect as "next free letter" so D is the logical selection. It may be slow, but should work.

The issue with this is the drive I am trying to put the program on is the SSD that is on the Motherboard , its not a SATA drive , basically Windows is on the SSD on the board and the remaining functioning SATA port has My Documents drive , which it is not trying to install on , its trying to install on the D/Programs SATA drive that is not even hooked up , hence the error saying it can't install because it can't find it , even though it shouldn't be looking for it since its not there or labeled as being there in the system (except in the file structure , but not physically)

The third way would be to use some external uninstaller (revo is mentioned from time to time), wich tries to purge traces of former installations from windows. If succesful you may install to C: afterwards. (I strongly recommend backups before.)

Depending on your setup you can also consider a complete re-install of windows, without software from the old version.

I was able to make the Libre Office Writer work and it opened it and is allowing me to fill out the form ...... , but still not sure why Apache is giving the error for a drive that is not present in the system even though I direct it to the C drive (SSD on the motherboard) and it won't put it there no matter what I try , but the Libre did it the first try .....
JimDirt

Post by JimDirt »

LastUnicorn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:39 am As Zizi64 says try to install LibreOffice. There are good reasons to prefer LibreOffice over OpenOffice some of which are mentioned here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information. You should note that LibreOffice has better support for opening Microsoft Office documents (.docx, etc.) than OpenOffice does anyway.

Again, as mentioned by Zizi64, you can get a portable version of LibreOffice here: LibreOffice Portable Still

Or if you are really sold on OpenOffice you can get a portable version here: Apache OpenOffice Portable

Either of them would tide you over until you get a fix for installing to your C:\ partition.

It is also the case that the portable versions of OpenOffice/LibreOffice are not altered in an way other than to just make them portable. You get the same application as you would from versions that you fully install to your system.
Thank you for that info , I was unaware that was a option , I still have to figure out what is causing all my SATA ports to die on 4 different motherboards (all are ASUS boards however) , so not sure if its my power supply or the boards themselves *different models but same brand* , but the issue is going to continue to kill my hard drives and motherboards till I get it figured out and that is the reason I am getting these errors because the Apache I have is on the drive that no longer works ...........
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

JimDirt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:01 pm
Thank you for that info , I was unaware that was a option , I still have to figure out what is causing all my SATA ports to die on 4 different motherboards (all are ASUS boards however) , so not sure if its my power supply or the boards themselves *different models but same brand* , but the issue is going to continue to kill my hard drives and motherboards till I get it figured out and that is the reason I am getting these errors because the Apache I have is on the drive that no longer works ...........
There are known viruses that can damage/destroy motherboards. If you have been getting similar failures on a number of motherboards it might be worth doing an indepth virus check with latest virus definitions.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JimDirt

Post by JimDirt »

RoryOF wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:07 pm
JimDirt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:01 pm
There are known viruses that can damage/destroy motherboards. If you have been getting similar failures on a number of motherboards it might be worth doing an indepth virus check with latest virus definitions.
Hmmmm , I guess I can do a check , do you have a recommendation of a Deep Scan Anti-virus software that isn't like Norton where it wants to take over your whole system , and isn't full of bloatware or a "buy this if you want to actually remove a virus" thing ??

In other words , Freeware that actually works good and doesn't detect something , then want to force you to buy it in order to actually get rid of it (if it actually does find anything) , I used to have AVG and Norton and a few others that I paid for , and honestly , they usually didn't find anything even when there was something there , or they screwed up my PC worse than it was with a virus and I would end up having to reformat , which I am 100% trying to avoid doing ..
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

JimDirt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:52 pm ...but still not sure why Apache is giving the error for a drive that is not present in the system even though I direct it to the C drive (SSD on the motherboard) and it won't put it there no matter what I try , but the Libre did it the first try .....
It is not Apache, wich caused the problem. You would have the same with LibreOffice. Windows remembers the software installed on D: I guess your menu still has entries for AOO, wich also give error when you try to load the program for obvious reasons.

When the installer (MS software) detects the software seems to be installed it will remove the old version but wishes tho use information stored with your software on D: so this fails.

You could install LibreOffice, as there was no previous reference to your D-Drive in Windows for LibreOffice.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

My own guess: Windows must have a record of the path to which the previous install of OpenOffice was done. Most likely that path will be recorded somewhere in Windows Registry. If it was me, using regedit.exe, I would search the registry for Keys that have as part of the name OpenOffice and see what Values and Data they contained. You could maybe alter the path in there or, if you were minded delete the Key and then try reinstalling OpenOffice and see if it no longer insists on installing to D:\[wherever]

Another approach would be to search the registry for Data that states the path to which your previous install of OpenOffice was located. So search for Data with path D:\OpenOffice or whatever the path actually was.

If you're not sure how to deal with the registry then you could try a Registry Cleaner and see if it can find the OpenOffice problem in the registry.

In any case it would be good practice to backup the registry before ferreting around inside it. You need to be very careful when working in the registry because you could easily break your system if you don't know what you are doing.

P.S. I don't have OpenOffice installed on my computer any more so can't search in my own registry to see if there is an install path recorded for OpenOffice.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Windows 10 Pro. x64
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

JimDirt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:41 pm Hmmmm , I guess I can do a check , do you have a recommendation of a Deep Scan Anti-virus software that isn't like Norton where it wants to take over your whole system , and isn't full of bloatware or a "buy this if you want to actually remove a virus" thing ??
Trendmicro use a remote virus checker called HouseCall, which I used years ago to check a Windows system for a friend - I use Linux all the time, no Windows.

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHom ... ecall.html

Use "at your own risk"; I know nothing against it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS