[Solved] Split large document into 2 ODT files

Discuss the word processor
CosmicCoincidences

[Solved] Split large document into 2 ODT files

Post by CosmicCoincidences »

I self published 2 books and the second paperback is 660 pages too big for hardcover. I have to make a part A & B in hardcover edition. The book has lots of photos. I want to save it in 1-373 pages and 374-660 pages. What would be the easiest way to do that as I've tried several programs and having much difficulty. Thank you
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] Several suggestions provided -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
openoffice 4.1 win 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Split large book file into 2 odt files

Post by John_Ha »

CosmicCoincidences wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:37 pm ... the second paperback is 660 pages ...The book has lots of photos.
Be sure to take daily backups as AOO has a well known problem with images which get lost. See
16. Lost images ... and a word of caution about using AutoRecovery. LibreOffice 6.1 and later is now probably better than AOO

In your position I would change to LibreOffice.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

If you are thinking of switching to LibreOffice you might find information of help to you here in making the decision: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If your problem is in the page numbering, see: [Tutorial] Page numbering.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
CosmicCoincidences

Post by CosmicCoincidences »

it's in odt but I can save it in any format. I also have it saved in PDF. I thought of saving in two and deleting the last half and the deleting the first half. The photos are attached to page. Deleting the last half should be easy as the first half would remain. Deleting the first half would cause all remailing pages to move up except foe photos already placed and just the font would move up causing me to need to place each photo again. If I can delete the first half without everything moving up that would work. I'm not sure I can delete the first half and leave the second half all set. thank you for your time. please advise am I able to delete the first half without affecting the 2nd half?
openoffice 4.1 win 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you have anchored the images to page - which you should only do if you understand the consequences - you will have problems. If the images are anchored otherwise they should move with the text.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If there is a page break between the 2 halves, then deleting the first half should not impact the second one. Except for page numbering but it can be fixed with the page style setting.
Try and tell us what remains to be fixed. Do that on a copy of your book of course.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

CosmicCoincidences wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:16 pm it's in odt but I can save it in any format.
If submitting the books as PDF is acceptable print to a Windows PDF printer and select your page ranges (first part, second part) in the OpenOffice File → Print dialog. You won't need to adjust page numbering or image anchoring because the PDF will preserve your page numbers and image placement for the second part. Or you can use File → Export as PDF and then use a PDF tool (not OpenOffice) to split that into two PDFs.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Not sure printing in mere 2 blocks will do. Because if I understand correctly, it has to be 2 hard cover books, meaning a cover page for both, to have 2 "different" books. A part 1 and a part 2.
I think that the question is rather: should the pages in part 2 follow the numbering of the part 1 or restart at 1?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may not be good to split the book at Total_Pages / 2; better to find a logical splitting point near that value, and there split into two volumes, adding a suitable title or volume page(s), and perhaps a table of contents, to the second half.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Have you tried selecting the first or second parts and then insert menu - section and ticking the Hide box so the section is hidden?
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Other options:
Don't split, but export to pdf accordingly. Assuming you have 5 pages of front matter like title/toc: 1-373 and then 1-5, 374- this will have continuing page-numbers.

Use a master document wich imports part one and two. You may then even use 3 versions of the master file: complete and two versions with only one part.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista