[Solved] Inserting pictures

Discuss the presentation application
amsr

[Solved] Inserting pictures

Post by amsr »

Hi, I am using OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Ubuntu. When I insert a picture into a presentation (usually a png), sometimes the picture is reformatted to fit into a text area, including being tiled (even though I am careful to click outside the text area). I have to open a blank slide, insert the picture and then move it to the slide where I actually want it (and can then reformat it myself if necessary, which is what I want to do). Please, how do I stop this happening?
thanks
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.15
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: inserting pictures

Post by Hagar Delest »

I don't think I ever had this problem with AOO. Maybe a regression in the latest version(s).
You could try LibreOffice. It is under much active development and do better. You won't be lost, it's almost the same interface. See also [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
amsr

Re: Inserting pictures

Post by amsr »

Thanks Hagar,
Actually I changed from LibreOffice (after many years of use) to Open Office when I upgraded Ubuntu because the text had become invisible in parts of my LibreOffice Presentations and I was recommended in this forum to change to Open Office. Which did solve that problem. Sorry I keep breaking it!
OpenOffice 4.1.15
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Can you post a presentation with a slide that demonstrates this problem. I recently inserted a lot of images in Impress using AOO 4.1.15 and I did not see this problem.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
amsr

Post by amsr »

Slide 1,I have a narrow text box on the left and I want to insert an image on the right to fill the width available. But even though I click on the right the image replaces the text box on the left and is resized to the narrow box. (Of course, I cannot reproduce the 'tiling' to order!, I think that it happens on the title-style slide).
Attachments
test.odp
misplaced image
(31.32 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
OpenOffice 4.1.15
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I added a new Slide 2. It has two content boxes. Can you add text to the left box and an image to the right one, or does even that fail?
Attachments
test_fjcc.odp
(30.54 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
amsr

Post by amsr »

Thanks. If I type something in the left box first then the image can be put in the right box, but I have to type something in the left first or else the image gos there willy-nilly. (actually that also means that I can delete the right box and insert the image free-floating, as I do not want images to be resized automatically). But, strangely, sometimes this trick worked before and sometimes not. It may be to do with my Dell, as it is a touch-screen (not wanted, but that's how it came!) and it has other strange behaviour in other packages. Anyway, now I know that typing something first reduces the number of mangled images. Maybe a complete cure but that will be tested tomorrow. Many thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.15
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, no problem with adding a pic without messing the wall slide with LO 7.6.5.2.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10