ODS file error

Discuss the spreadsheet application
errostash

ODS file error

Post by errostash »

Hello.
the ods file where I keep a list about my work is corrupted. i don't know why it is corrupted and can't be opened. the worst thing is that i need this file very much and there is no backup. please help me.
if I have a chance to recover the file and if you help me, i thank you in advance.

I have attached the file as an attachment, you can download and check it.
Attachments
ALACAK VE MASRAFLAR.ods
this is the ods file not opening
(97.34 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Re: ods file error

Post by floris v »

Welcome to the forum. I'm very sorry for you, but the document is all zeroes, everything in it is lost. See [Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with floris v: the file is badly corrupted. Best to use a utility such as Recuva or PhotoRec to see if a hidden temporary file can be recovered. Do this as soon as possible.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
errostash

Post by errostash »

thanks for helping. I couldn't understand the file being corrupted for no reason. It was bad for me.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

That can happen when you shut down the computer or laptop before OpenOffice could properly close and save your work. You should always use the proper shutdown procedure in Windows and not just turn off the power, for instance.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice files are complex, being composed of a number of items. They take some time to build, and if the computer is powered off too quickly such as by shutting a laptop lid, or crashes, there may not be sufficient time for the computer to build the output file or for it to be flushed from the software write buffers to the hard drive.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice has rewritten the save process, it doesn't suffer from that bug.
[Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information.

Note that personally, I have never really bothered how I was closing my laptop (pro or personal) and I have never experienced such issue with any other application than AOO. LO having rewritten the process demonstrates IMHO that the issue is entirely with the application.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

OpenOffice had/has a very bad saving procedure, probably first wiping the original file, then writing the new version. If anything goes wrong in the meantime, your file is reduced to zeroes. MS Word files are similar as to complexity, they're zip archives as well, but apparently they don't get damaged that badly.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha analysed this problem; from memory, his finding was that OpenOffice does not issue a "do not shut down just yet" warning to the operating system, which would prevent it shutting down until all was OK. But it must be said, the needed delay is minuscule - a matter of seconds; the problem is frequently caused by over-hasty closing of a laptop lid.