[Solved] What is the JRE location?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
DWDun

[Solved] What is the JRE location?

Post by DWDun »

I do not have a Doctorate in IT. What I DO have is the latest version of Java in both C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (86), yet I still get the message that Open Office requires Java Runtime Environment. Where SHOULD I have Java located so Open Office can access it?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
O0en Office 4.1.6, Windows 10
FJCC

Re: JRE location

Post by FJCC »

Go to the menu Tools -> Options and expand the OpenOffice list on the left. Select Java. Select the check box "Use a Java runtime environment". Use the Add button to point to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre-1.8
or the equivalent folder in your Java installation
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Following these instructions results in a window that shows:
Title Type Size Date Modified
Java Folder 3/30/2024
Path:C:\Users\Donald\Documents\

When entering the suggested Path instead of what is shown, and clicking on the Select box, results in the error message:
"The folder you selected does not contain a Java Runtime Environment. Please select a different folder."
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

Assuming you are looking in the correct folder you must have a 32-bit implementation of JRE there to suit OpenOffice. The bitness of JRE must match the bitness of the program you are using with the JRE. OpenOffice is 32-bit.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

So should I use just the C:\Program Files\ path?
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

You have to select the folder that actually contains the JRE. For example C:\Program Files (x86)\Java or C:\Program Files (x86)\JRE [or whatever the name of the folder that contains the JRE actually is]

Try this thread for more help: Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java
Windows 10 Pro. x64
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I have jre-1.8 in both C"\Program Files\Java and C:\Program Files\(x86)\Java. Is ther anyplace else I could put it that Apache Open Office Calc could find it?
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Do you have a folder named C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\? What is in there?
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

jre-1.8 and nothing else.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

You should be able to go to Tools -> Options and set up the Java as shown in this image. Ignore the OpenJDK, that isn't relevant to your case. Click on the "Use a Java runtime environment box" and wait several seconds. If your Java is not detected, use the Add button to point to the jre-1.8 folder in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\
Java.PNG
Java.PNG (31.07 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I should probably explain what I am trying to achieve.
I have a list containing one text-input cell for a name, two date-input cells, and three cells with function-generated text.
As it is now deleting the name with the backspace key, removes all but the Date inputs and I am trying to create and assign to the backspace key on the keyboard, a macro that will remove the name and then remove the Date inputs and return to the name input cell, but only when used in the name input cell. The function-generated text goes away with the name.
The macro has been created and performs flawlessly when run in the Tools>Macros>Organize Macros> Open Office Basic window.
So I should probably be seeking help with Macros.
Any suggestions about what I should do next would be GREATLY appreciated.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

What were you trying to do when you would get the message about Java?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

DWDun wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:48 pm I should probably explain what I am trying to achieve.
Well, that deserves another thread.
Have you managed to add the Java environment as explained in previous posts?
It is done inside OpenOffice and you just need to provide OpenOffice the path to the folder.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Using the "Type here to search" tool to look at C:|Program Files\Java or C:\Program Files(x86)\Java shows that there is a JRE in each folder.
Howerver Tools>Options>Open Office>Java>Use as a JRE>Add>Select generates the message "The folder you have selected does not contain a Java Runtime Enviroment, Please select a different folder.
(After clicking the Add option the Path shows C:\Users\Donald\Documents, and of course there is no JRE in that folder,, but changing the path to either of the folders where the JRE is located and clicking Select generates the same message.)
And still the message about Open Office requiring a JRE remains.
I will create a different thread for the Macro matter.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

What I was trying to do when I get the JRE required msg was assign the bbackspace key to a Macro.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

I have a suspicion that you might have a 64-bit implementation of JRE in both folder locations. Read the guides again pointed to above and then try the following:

(1) Uninstall the JRE you have installed in the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Java

(2) Go to the JRE download site and download the JRE that is offered with this title: Windows Offline ([current] filesize: 58.41 MB) (DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE 64-BIT JRE!)

(3) Once that is downloaded double-click to launch the installer file you just downloaded and install the JRE to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Java It has been long time since I used Oracle JRE but from dim memory I think that the 32-bit JRE will install to that folder by default — in any case make sure that it does get installed to that folder.

(4) Now point OpenOffice to that JRE installation and it should work.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I am ready to terminate this thread and call it quits. If I can't get along without the JRE I will do something that does not require it. Thank you all for your efforts on this matterand I am willing to concede that it is my incompetence that precludes success. Better luck with someone else.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice is walking dead. Replace it with LibreOffice which is the actively maintained successor to OpenOffice but still very much like OpenOffice.
https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Anything related to macros does not require any Java. There is hardly anything in LibreOffice that depends on Java.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

If you do want to consider switching to LibreOffice then read this, it will make your switch easier: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I am sorely tempted to try LibreOffice, simply because it supercedes OpenOffice. I feel sure the Still version would serve me wellso will try that first. And because it's documentation is more stable. I have read the suggested thread and it addresses matters that I cannot even spell, but have printed it and will keep it for reference as the switch is attempted.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Well... tried to download the still version, paid for it, asked it to put a shortcut on my whatever-you-wanna-call-it screen, nothing about LibreOffice appears ther, and I seem to be having mu usual run of misfortune.
By the way, just what does Microsoft have to do with any of this? I got a popup wnidow wanting me to have Microsoft save my credit card information. Is this a typical Microsoft intrusion, or is this wher my download perished?
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Pleae disregard my previous, I now have the LibreOffice shortcut where I can access it, and have. Now to get acquainted.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You have perhaps downloaded LibreOffice from a nonofficial site and may have acquired some unexpected extra bonus with your download. You may wish to check your system for unwanted extras.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/do ... breoffice/ is the correct download site and doesn't involve any payment; although you can optionally donate.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I downloaded from the link provided in the Considering a Switch . . . provided in the last line of the first paragraph.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Okay... I can access the LibreOffice.org home page, I can even pull up .ods files created on AOO and work on them with LibreOffice, but if I ask for help I am told that built in help is not present, but I can download it from the LO homepage. I'm really sorry to continue this matter in this thread but have yet to establish a more appropriate one.
I cannot see any way to create a LibreOffice Account, download any built in help, get any LibreOffice support or many of the things I am accustomed to in AOO. If someone could tell me these three things I think I could leave you alone for a while. Thank you for any relief you may offer.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I can access the LibreOffice.org home page
Strictly speaking, you are in fact opening the LibreOffice Start Centre on your computer. Using the terminology home page would confuse anyone trying to help you.
I cannot see any way to create a LibreOffice Account, download any built in help, get any LibreOffice support
Offline help download and Help information are both linked from the page where you downloaded LibreOffice. Note that unlike Apache OpenOffice, the LO offline help opens in your web browser.

lohelp.png
lohelp.png (30.38 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

In addition, this forum provides support for, inter alia, LibreOffice - see the header on each page which says "User community support forum for Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and all the OpenOffice.org derivatives".

I'm not sure what you mean by create a LibreOffice Account?
 Edit:  
Perhaps you mean the LibreOffice Question & Answer support site https://ask.libreoffice.org/
Note it is not a traditional forum liker this site and should you join it you would be well advised to read How to Use the Ask Site
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

DWDun wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:41 am I downloaded from the link provided in the Considering a Switch . . . provided in the last line of the first paragraph.
The link to download LibreOffice in [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information is the correct link to the LibreOffice official download site.
Windows 10 Pro. x64