Getting back overwritten text

Discuss the word processor
krumus

Getting back overwritten text

Post by krumus »

Hi,

I did something really stupid, I chose the wrong Write file, one I wanted to keep, deleted the text, wrote something else and saved it. is there any way I can recover the older, deleted text?
OpenOffice version 4.1.15, Windows 11
robleyd

Re: Getting back overwritten text

Post by robleyd »

If you haven't closed the amended file, you could use repeated Ctrl+Z (Undo) to restore the file to previous states.

Otherwise, if you have enabled backup file using Tools | Options | Load/Save | General you could use that. Last resort [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO/LO temporary files
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that a hard disk (i.e., a real disk drive, not an SSD) will have deleted copies of the required file. As soon as may be use a recovery app such as PhotoRec or Recuva to search for deleted files, which will show up under arbitrary names and file types; you will need to examine these to decide if some are copies of your deleted file,

I understand (no experience) that SSD drives may not offer the same recovery possibilities.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

If you removed it by cutting it eg ctr+x key there might be a copy on Window's clipboard manager (win+v). (That gets cleared on shutdown but some 3rd party clipboard managers save the history)

Removing with the delete key or selecting it and typing something to replace it doesn't do that.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)