[Solved] Java JRE not recognised

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
splashboard

[Solved] Java JRE not recognised

Post by splashboard »

On my laptop (Windows 11) after I have downloaded the latest version of Java my database no longer recognises that it has a Java jre. Tools:Options:Java page reports that the jre is already installed, but doesn't show the details. When I try to open a database form it reports that there is no Java jre.
I have tried un-installing Open Office 4 and then re-installing without effect.
I have also tried to add the Java jre, but when I select the file path of the Java jre it is not recognised.
Last edited by splashboard on Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
Windows 7 Home Premium
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Java jre not recognised

Post by floris v »

Jave always needs to have the same "bitness" as the software that it has to work with. OpenOffice for Windows is still 32 bits, so you need to download and install a 32 bits version of Java.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This is one of the most frequently asked question since 32-bit systems are out of time. AOO for WIndows is a 32-bit application out of time and development. Don't hold your breath for a 64-bit version for Windows which may never be released. AOO development almost stopped 10 years ago.

LibreOffice is the new OpenOffice: https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
If you really insist in using OpenOffice, just find a matching Java version. It needs to be a 32-bit version installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\. And for obvious reasons it must not be the latest Java.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The Apache OpenOfice is a 32 bit software. You need 32 bit JRE for it (even on a 64 bit operating sytem.)

The Apache OpenOffice development is slowened since a few years. Maybe it is not compatible today with the newest JRE. Solution: Use an older JRE for the AOO, or use the LibreOffice. The LO has 64 bit (and 32 bit) version, and it is under really active development.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
splashboard

Re: Java JRE not recognised

Post by splashboard »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll give up on OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
Windows 7 Home Premium
PeaceByJesus

Re: [Solved] Java JRE not recognised

Post by PeaceByJesus »

For the record, since this is likely one of the most common issues with Aoo, presently the 32 bit JRE can be found here, https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp (Version 8 Update 331;
Release date: April 19, 2022) but all you need is the top file (not the 64 bit ver.). And which in Windows 10,11 installs in C:\Program Files (x86), while the actual address that you can paste into the Tool>Options>OpenOffice dialog box is C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_331\bin\ . Worked for me, thank God.
Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 3 3200G CPU; 64GB RAM
Grace and peace thru Jesus the Lord. peacebyjesus.net (pages created in Open office)
PeaceByJesus

Re: [Solved] Java JRE not recognised

Post by PeaceByJesus »

Later, in W/11 for some reason I cannot recall, Ooo began asking/demanding Java (9 prompts for it upon starting a writer ODT and would not persistently accept No), and using the Java uninstall tool would not work. So I had to use Auslogics (since it has a reg. specific search function) to find all java registry entries, and manually select the ones I judged to be pertinent,and rebooted, and then follow my previous instructions in post #87, and which finally worked again, thank God.

In the meantime I had installed EclipseJava Adoptium which worked for Libreoffice, but which did not qualify for Apache. (I use both versions of open office due to a difference which affect some html documents I created - most of which were made on Apache oo).
Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 3 3200G CPU; 64GB RAM
Grace and peace thru Jesus the Lord. peacebyjesus.net (pages created in Open office)