Native Office Version for AndroidPC (TV)

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
Cris Lobin

Native Office Version for AndroidPC (TV)

Post by Cris Lobin »

Dear All.

These days, I was looking at my desktop computers, and I noticed how old I was. :roll: I am 65 years old, my computers are at least 5 years old, and I am a Linux user from the beginning. When the Xwindows system was so heavy for the cpus of those times, that there was no future for a Linux with Windows ... No way, to compete with Microsoft Windows!

But I am young spirited, so I am replacing now my desktop computers, both Linux and Windows with the "AndroidPC" box.

Why? Because nowadays we live with the Apps for every task. There are millions of them, for every possible use, and they are evolving daily. So I have to keep up to date, not easy! And it is also very practical, to use the "TV" also as "PC". And for us, the elder, when the eyesight starts failing, to have a big HDMI screen with big letters to work.

What is the Android PC? it is the certified (Google Play Store) AndroidTV box, you can get for 50 USD or less, quad core, 4Gb + 64GB. A bargain! I am waiting now that the octa core, 8Gb + 128Gb gets cheaper ....

There are a couple of native Apps for it. Most of the Apps are working, by sideloading them from Google.

So I would be very thankfull to the programmers, if they could include a native Office Suite for the AndroidTV!

Thanks

Cris from Chile
Libre Office 7.0.4.2 on Debian 11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Native Office Version for AndroidPC (TV)

Post by Zizi64 »

The Andropen Office is not an official version of the OpenOffice for the Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=hu&gl=US

The Collabora Office is a "fork" (special version) of the LibreOffice:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=hu&gl=US
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Cris Lobin

Post by Cris Lobin »

Hi Zizi64.

Thanks ! :D

I will check them out.

Nice task, to write then herein my findings, compared with the "reference" :mrgreen:

Cris
Cris Lobin

Post by Cris Lobin »

Hi Zizi64.

So, the result of the investigation regarding Collabora, and Andropen Office sideloading to the AndroidTV box:

- Collabora is a file of type xapk. Was not possible to install by simple means; ApkPure Light or File Manager +
- Andropen Office refused to install, used same tools as for Collabora.

It was possible to install WPS Office. Works at full screen. Not tested in detail.

In my opinion, the concept ist that the implementation and use of the "AndroidPC" should be kept really simple. Google should merge some of its platforms to one, thinking of Chrome O/S and Android for Cars. And Google should also make the configuration of the AndroidTV as "AndroidPC" effortless. How many hours people watch TV daily? And the price of the box, is really convenient for users all over the world.

So, my request for a powerfull native AndroidTV version of Apache Office stays!

Regards

Chris from Chile
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

We are just users like you. If you want to ask the devs, use their mailing list. But there has been almost no development for years so don't hold your breath. And anyway, the user target is too small I think. It's the first time I see such request in the forum.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Cris Lobin

Post by Cris Lobin »

Hi Hagar.

Thanks for answering!

It is a "critical mass" matter.

I think, the idea of the cheap "AndroidPC" looks promising. I have a couple of older HDMI screens at home. How many would like to be users, are around the world? Recycling ...

A young, smart, Android Smartphone user today, will be an elder, eyesight limited Android user, in a few years. We all will get old and limited.

Let see how it develops. Anyway, I am happy with this experiment! Almost all the internet browsers work, I had to take an older Brave version. The Google infrastructure and Google programms work fine. No time for now, to test the Microsoft infrastructure in the AndroidTV enviroment. I can move around my 10TB (5 x 2TB NTFS hdds) movie collection. FTP works. I still have problems, with the Xmeye cloud based software for the security cameras, it is not full screen.

Comparing with the beginning of Linux, with not enough cpu power. For this "dream", Google requires only to implement slight changes, to their multiple concurrent software platform development. I hope, it will merge alone. It will.

Regards

Cris