[Solved] Footnote doubled anchor such as ††

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Hrodlandson

[Solved] Footnote doubled anchor such as ††

Post by Hrodlandson »

Many footnote formats which do not use integer sequences rely on a limited sequence of symbols. When more footnotes are required than there are different symbols the format calls for the symbols to be doubled (& then, if need be tripled!!) I would like to have a way just to do doubling. For brevity, suppose the set { * § # † ‡ } is the complete set "considered/approved" or use. The 6th footnote would use «**» the 7th «§§» and so on. Is there a way to achieve this using the footnote anchor style? (I don't believe there is a character set with doubled glyphs.)
(A workaround would be to use the glyphs "6" "7" "8" etc. in sequence then replace the numbers with the appropriate twinned(/triplet) - but of course this loses the "click to jump to" combination.) While the "click" feature can be sacrificed in the case at hand I would not want to also have to manually set aside the footnote space at the bottom of pages. Too, at present I don't know what hacks would be needed to preserve that space. I think putting the glyph pair where the footnote text begins (laborious) then using "hidden" for the footnote reference might work but chaos would aways lurk wrt the footnotes space. (Is there a simple way to create a "character set" of png files for doubled glyphs which could masquerade as characters?)
Last edited by Hrodlandson on Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows Vista(SonyEqCo)
Cazer

Re: footnote doubled anchor such as ††

Post by Cazer »

Unfortunately, footnote anchor styles typically don't have built-in support for doubled glyphs. You're right that using numbered glyphs as a workaround would sacrifice the handy "click to jump to" functionality.

One idea could be placing the glyph pair at the start of the footnote text and using a "hidden" style for the footnote reference. However, that might lead to some footnotes space chaos. Preserving the space while hiding the reference would require some hacking skills.

As for creating a "character set" of PNG files for doubled glyphs, it could work in theory. You'd need to create individual image files for each combination and use them as substitutes. But keep in mind that this approach might have its own complications.
OpenOffice 4.1.14
OS
Hrodlandson

Re: Footnote doubled anchor such as ††

Post by Hrodlandson »

Thank you. Yes, I had stumbled on the "hidden" hack... The sticking point is getting anything tricky to properly display in the footnote area. A way I found: In an available blank space, type/enter the doubled set - mark/bound/copy to clipboard... On Insert footnote/endnote ?menu? select "Character" numbering ... paste the clipboard content ...
I've used that sequence once or twice since my original post & it seems to work.
I've a new puzzle concerning the Asterisk glyph for which I will put up a new plea.
Now I need to mark this Help solved...
Hrodlandson

Re: Footnote doubled anchor such as ††

Post by Hrodlandson »

Trying to tag this as solved