[Solved] .setContent stripping out exclamation point (!) from string

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
arazi8921

[Solved] .setContent stripping out exclamation point (!) from string

Post by arazi8921 »

Hello,

If anyone can help, this is driving me crazy! I am trying to update a named range (named "Print_This") with a new range value.

The OpenOffice BASIC code below works great-- except that the exclamation point (!) in the concatenated string keeps getting STRIPPED AWAY no matter how I try to do it.

As viewed under the 'Manage Names' dialog:
DESIRED STRING: Printout_Page!R1C1:R175C9
ACTUAL STRING: Printout_Page R1C1:R175C9

Every time, the exclamation point in the string I create gets stripped away somehow. I have tried: (1) creating the text string with the exclamation point as part of the text, (2) using chr(33), (3) using a period instead of the exclamation point, and (4) adding a backslash \ in front of the exclamation point. NONE of these variations work.

The error I get running the code is the "Invalid Range" error, which makes sense when I look at the named ranges in the 'Manage Names' dialog and see that the range reference has the space instead of the exclamation point.

------ Begin Sample Code ---------------
dim tAllRanges
dim tChangeRange
dim tRangeString

tAllRanges = ThisComponent.NamedRanges
tChangeRange = tRanges.getByName("Print_This")
tRangeString = "Printout_Page"&chr(33)&"R1C1:R"&trim(str(some_integer))&"C9"

tChangeRange.setContent(tRangeString)
------ End Sample Code ---------------

If anyone can tell me the secret that I can't figure out I would be very grateful.... THANK YOU!!
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Windows 10 - 19045.2965
LibreOffice 7.5.2.2 (x64)
PostgreSQL 15.1
FJCC

Re: .setContent stripping out exclamation point (!) from string

Post by FJCC »

I believe that the correct separator between the sheet name and the cell range is a period and not an exclamation point. Try constructing Printout_Page.R1C1:R175C9
I don't know whether the RC syntax is valid in setContent(). It might be.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
arazi8921

Post by arazi8921 »

Thanks! I did try that earlier (before submitting my question) and unfortunately it just updated the range as: Printout_Page.R1C1:R175C9

It just kept the period and did not replace it with the needed exclamation point for a named range. And that range, Printout_Page.R1C1:R175C9, with the period, is not a valid range in the Manage Names dialog.

Thanks for the idea to try.
Windows 10 - 19045.2965
PostgreSQL 15.1
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

This bit of code works for me in OpenOffice. Are you sure the RC notation works in setContent()? It does not work for me in OpenOffice.

Code: Select all

oNamedRanges = ThisComponent.NamedRanges
  oObj1 = oNamedRanges.getByName("FirstRange")
  oObj1.setContent("Sheet1.H1:I3")
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
arazi8921

Post by arazi8921 »

FJCC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:29 am This bit of code works for me in OpenOffice. Are you sure the RC notation works in setContent()? It does not work for me in OpenOffice.

Code: Select all

oNamedRanges = ThisComponent.NamedRanges
  oObj1 = oNamedRanges.getByName("FirstRange")
  oObj1.setContent("Sheet1.H1:I3")
Thank you again. Yes, I constructed the string in A1 Notation and it did register this time! Since I am using R1C1 notation all of the time I do think that was the problem.

In the Named Ranges (Manage Names) dialog it changed the reference from the A1 notation I used in the code (at your suggestion) to a Base 0 reference of: Print_List!RC:R[174]C[9]

Which is still not exactly like all of the other named ranges that are listed in "regular" R1C1 notation Base 1 (like Print_List!RC:R175C10)

But it doesn't matter how it is shown, the bottom line is that it definitely WORKS now!

Thanks again! I will mark this as SOLVED. And I'll remember in the future about the A1 vs R1C1 Notation differences that may crop up in the code sometimes when things aren't working.
Windows 10 - 19045.2965
PostgreSQL 15.1