[Solved] LibreOffice crashes when saving

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
derekmax46

[Solved] LibreOffice crashes when saving

Post by derekmax46 »

This is a recent problem. I have been using Open Office and recently Libre Office for years and regard myself as proficient in what i do, but this is something new. When I recently set up this computer up (it is an older laptop) ,after we packed my desktop for moving, Libre Office was working perfectly. I am using Linux Mint 2.1, Libre Office was installed with it. I used the package to edit a very large presentation, no problems.
Now, I have found that when I create a file in Writer, Presenter or Draw in Libre Office, I can save the first few edits once or twice, but after that the computer crashes back to the log-in screen every time I try to save the file. Oddly, the new login does not take as long to return to the initial screen as a complete reboot. I can save PDF files and JPEGs but when I try to reload them the system does the same crash. I cannot re-load old files that were edited on this machine (Acer Aspire Laptop, 8 gig memory, 100 gig HD) a couple of months ago, they crash too. Oddly enough I am running a couple of large spreadsheet files and they seem unaffected. I am suspecting that the problem has something to do with the creation of temporary files, which is why I can write multiple PDF files but not edit them. After a crash a few small empty temporary files are left in the directory. I assume the crash leaves a log somewhere but I don't know where to look and wouldn't understand what it means anyway! I can upload the machines system information if we need it.
As I am uncertain whether this is a Libre Office problem or a machine/Mint problem I am posting this on the Linux Mint forum too - hope this does not offend protocol!
cheers
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
LibreOffice, Version: 6.4.7.2, Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon
RoryOF

Re: Problem - Libre Office crashes when saving

Post by RoryOF »

In what format are you Saving - PDF or .odt/.ods? PDF is a print/display format, not intended for editing.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Cazer

Re: Problem - Libre Office crashes when saving

Post by Cazer »

I think it's possible that your user profile in LibreOffice got corrupted, which can sometimes cause issues. You could try resetting it (make sure to back up any customizations first).

Also, try saving in .odt or .ods format as RoryOF suggested. PDFs aren't really meant for editing and can cause problems.

Lastly, check for updates to both LibreOffice and Linux Mint. If it's a known bug, it might have been fixed in a newer version.
OpenOffice 4.1.14
OS
derekmax46

Re: LibreOffice crashes when saving

Post by derekmax46 »

I was only saving in PDF and Jpg because the regular save crashed the machine and I needed a quick poster, normally I save in native formats. I do update regularly. Anyway I have tried the profile reset and saving seems at first sight to be restored to normal - simple as that! No idea how my profile got corrupted as i never fill in that stuff anyway. I hit reset and put my name into it and clicked "apply". So for the time being problem solved - I have a big presentation to do so if the problem recurs I'll re-open this dialogue. Thank you so much for your help., I really appreciate it! - Derek
LibreOffice, Version: 6.4.7.2, Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon