[Solved] odt files do not open (windows 10)

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ulriket

[Solved] odt files do not open (windows 10)

Post by ulriket »

I have installed OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10.
Since yesterday I cannot open most of my text files (*.odt). I have deleted the user profile following these instructions:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
and it did not fix the problem.
Any ideas? Please help.
Last edited by thomasjk on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: odt files do not open (windows 10)

Post by RoryOF »

What happens?

When you deleted your user profile, were you prompted for your name and initials on next startup of OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ulriket

Post by ulriket »

what happens?
a message "files are being opened" is displayed, but nothing happens, finally OO times out (no reaction)

After deleting (renaming) the user profile I have been promted by OO to enter my name and initials, and then a new "user" directory with subdirectories has been created. But the problem remains.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That means you correctly deleted or renamed your user profile. Try this: start TaskManager (Crl Shift Esc) andd kill any (all) soffice processes shown on TM's Processes tab. Then start OpenOffice and try to open a file.
listinak

Post by listinak »

I am having the exact same problem. I'm so frustrated. It's been working just fine for a long time, why now all of a sudden I can't open any of my work or the program?! Grrr! HELP!!
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
ulriket

Post by ulriket »

sorry, but killing the processes in TM did not work either, there were no processes with "office" or "soffice" (I booted the system this morning). I could not open the files, OO timed out.
Any further ideas?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not a Windows user, so take my advice with that in mind. I'd suggest removing OpenOffice using Revo Uninstaller (or similar) at its most aggressive. Delete also the OpenOffice user profile (I don't think Revo touches that). Then reboot your computer (I'm old fashioned - I would always install to a reboot) and reinstall OO 4.1.2.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

listinak wrote:I am having the exact same problem. I'm so frustrated. It's been working just fine for a long time, why now all of a sudden I can't open any of my work or the program?! Grrr! HELP!!
Delete any soffice processes shown in TaskManager. Details are in this thread. Almost always inability of OO to start is caused by such left-over processes resulting from a program or system crash, or sometimes too hasty a computer close down (before write buffers have flushed).
ulriket

Post by ulriket »

Your last advice worked, I did as you suggested (uninstall with Revo uninstaller, reboot, install OO) and can now open my files.
Thanks a lot for your help, it was very much appreciated.
derloopkat

Re: [Solved] odt files do not open (windows 10)

Post by derloopkat »

In my case removing the profile and generating a new one, didn't make any difference. When I double click on an .odt file, it keeps opening and immediately closing the document. No error shown.

I have solved by right click on the file -> open with -> select swriter.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14