[Solved] OpenOffice: Unable to save in DOCX format

Discuss the word processor
Michael1973

[Solved] OpenOffice: Unable to save in DOCX format

Post by Michael1973 »

I am trying to save a document in DocX format, but it's not given as an option. I just downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.9 and that didn't solve the problem. What can I do?

Edit: Changed subject, was .DocX Format Not Listed 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited topic's subject
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: .DocX Format Not Listed

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
OpenOffice does not and never has had the ability to save in .docx format.
LibreOffice does, but we do not recommend using these types of file formats.
Please see [Tutorial]Differences between Writer and MS Word file
Microsoft Office, since 2007, has the ability to open files saved using the Open Document Format. (.odt extension for Writer files).

You stated that you just downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.9. If this is not an error in the version number, then you have an unofficial, and unsupported, version of OpenOffice, since the last official version is 4.1.7.

A similar topic is located at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=100857
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

An MS program that can read .docx will also read .doc.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Michael1973

Post by Michael1973 »

My apologies regarding the version number. That was a typo. I have 4.1.7, as noted in my signature.

With regards to my issue, I need to send my resume to a recruiter who will only accept files in Word format. If I save as .doc using OpenOffice, will they be able to open it? I'm assuming they have a relatively recent version of Windows.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

They should be able to do so.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If the recruiter is insisting on Word format documents, then I'd suggest checking with them to determine just exactly which Word format(s) they will accept, as there are many Word formats that use the same .doc extension, as well as the newer .docx extension.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

doc is a Word format. Every version of MS Word can open this perfectly well. There is not the faintest technical reason why OpenOffice should be able to write docx.
a recruiter who will only accept files in Word format.
is incompetent. PDF would be the document format for this. Every program able to print can produce PDF, every device with a screen can display PDF.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Michael1973 wrote:If I save as .doc using OpenOffice, will they be able to open it?
Yes.

But if you don't use the same application than the recipient, then there may be some flaws.
It's rather strange to ask for a doc/docx file for a resume. PDF would be more relevant.

doc/docx format was not designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office, it is the vendor lock-in policy.
Better find someone with MS Office or buy it to maximize the chances of having a good file to your recruiter if he can't accept PDF.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Michael1973

Post by Michael1973 »

Villeroy wrote:
a recruiter who will only accept files in Word format.
is incompetent. PDF would be the document format for this. Every program able to print can produce PDF, every device with a screen can display PDF.
I agree completely, but they explicitly state that they won't accept PDF or Google Docs formats.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Then they accept doc.
Why do you use OpenOffice anyway? It is walking dead. Since 9 years there is a successor to OpenOffice: https://libreoffice.org. It can save docx.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Or Save your file as type .odt and use the free online conversion service of http://www.zamzar.com to convert it to .docx.
Michael1973

Post by Michael1973 »

Thanks for the tips. I had never heard of LibreOffice until today. I always used Word at my jobs, but hadn't needed it at home in a long time.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Villeroy wrote:https://libreoffice.org ... can save docx.
Only partially - it is not a complete implementation of the .docx "so called standard". See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation.

Complain vigorously to the company that it is forcing you to use a propriety product. It is exactly the same as them telling you "Come to an interview but you must drive here in a Ford vehicle". It's pig headed ignorance.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Another option is you can use Microsoft Word for free online (in your browser)... you just need to open an account (also free)... a Skype account or something...

www.office.com
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
itsyflorence

Re: [Solved] .DocX Format Not Listed

Post by itsyflorence »

LibreOffice sounds promising..... but stability issues?? https://www.trustpilot.com/review/libreoffice.org

Lost files, application errors
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 11
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice: Unable to save in DOCX format

Post by Hagar Delest »

Come on, 6 reviews for the whole year 2023 so far. This is just not serious.
Of course, you post when you are not happy so there is a bias on such sites. If it had been that bad, the forum would be full of rants about the application.

After having used AOO for years (from OOo in 2006), I switched to LO some years ago and I haven't had any stability issue at all. I experience some crashes but only with complex document (when exporting to PDF long master docs with thousands of tables and pics). Using LO at work 8hrs a day. But with native ODF only.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Hagar Delest - that could be your review over there perhaps? The negative stability comments are quite valuable - losing work and it being unrecoverable is about the worst thing that can happen. LO and OO should have the warning those posts give people.

Back up is a golden rule of computing.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

See: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information. You really would be much better of with LibreOffice.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.15 [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

JeJe wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 am Back up is a golden rule of computing.
Ctrl S to Save a file should become instinctive to all users of computers.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

JeJe wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 am The negative stability comments are quite valuable - losing work and it being unrecoverable is about the worst thing that can happen. LO and OO should have the warning those posts give people.
I agree that crashes are the worst thing ever with computers. However, the rate of crashing with LO does not require IMHO a warning that there is a danger using LO. AOO was less stable than it used to be for the last version I used (don't remember which ones exactly). And after several years of use with LO I may have experienced only 3 cases of crashes with loss of late edits (never had a file completely unrecoverable as it occurred for some with AOO). To be noted that I suffer way more frustration with Microsoft Teams for example (with data loss) because their collaborative system is not always reliable.

I also do check the negative reviews when I look up products/hotels on the net. But I try to get the big picture as well: is the product widely used and widely known or not for example. Is the review site widely used or not? Very comments for a year just doesn't give a reliable picture of the product.